Christopher Marks premieres Romance and Tarantella at the OHS convention

Chris Marks is one of the most thoughtful and expressive organists I have heard. He was also my very excellent organ teacher. I was super excited when he decided to commission a new work for his performance at the Organ Historical Society's convention in Syracuse, NY this week.

Romance and Tarantella is a fairly unified work in that both movements are based on the same little nugget of an idea. I think the Romance is a little bit Finzi and maybe a little 80s pop (though I can't exactly say where or why.)

The Toccata definitely was inspired by Nancarrow at the end. There is some Ginastera and some French spices thrown into the stew. Also, it's not really a Tarentella.

Chris plays them beautifully, and I'm so grateful to have such a gifted performer taking my work around for others to hear. Thanks, Chris.